... she picked up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. The girl turned back to the man and said, “It made a difference to that one.”
Friday, April 25, 2008
What did the jellyfish say to the beach goer?
Last week, I went to Fort Lauderdale with my friend Dina. While I didn't *find* any animals there, I did meet one. I can't say it was a pleasure, but I know it didn't intend to meet me. This is a photo of my souvenir taken a week after we met. At least I didn't have to find its owner!
A man was walking along a beach on a beautiful day. In the distance he could see a girl going back and forth between the surf’s edge and the beach. As the man approached he could see that there were hundreds of starfish stranded on the sand as the result of the natural action of the tide.The man was struck by the apparent futility of the task. There were far too many starfish; many were sure to perish. As he approached, the girl kept picking up starfish one by one and throwing them into the surf.As he came up to the girl he said, “What are you doing? There are thousands of miles of beach covered with starfish. You can’t possibly make a difference.” The girl looked at the man. She then stooped down, picked up one more starfish and threw it back into the ocean. The girl turned back to the man and said, “It made a difference to that one.”
2 comments:
Yowwwch!!!!! That looks painful! :( (cute socks, though).
Maybe that jellyfish was giving you a "high five" for throwing all the starfish back into the sea. :)
woo, spiffy new counter!
Post a Comment