So, I had to answer "the" question. And honestly. There was much care...and physical and emotional (yes, it's possible) sweat...in composing my response. Thanks, Em, for the final thumbs up. I might still be tweaking. ;)
My response:
-----------------------------------------------------
I will answer your question honestly, but hope that you will consider my full response in regards to the situation.
Tommy did spray a couple times in our bathtub last week. We decided it was likely he was doing this in response to his litterbox which, although we scooped first, still contained litter with the scents of other cats. Last week, we put the litterbox through the dishwasher and added all fresh litter. There have been some drops in the bathtub since, but the amount is dramatically reduced.
Male cats who are not neutered spray. That's a fact. Tommy will be neutered tomorrow. This will eliminate the testosterone that makes him feel the need to mark his territory or attract mates. It's my understanding after discussing with our vet that, in most cases, neutering stops spraying. If a cat continues to spray after the surgery, the spray does not contain the same chemical makeup as pre-neuter spray. This would be considered a behavioral issue that can be addressed. It is also likely that the scents of the cats living beyond the bathroom door have contributed to his desire to spray, even just a small amount, while being isolated in our bathroom.
[name], please consider what I've said above in your decision. Please also consider that you are likely our last chance for finding him a home. It's maybe not fair to you to let you know this, but I'm the only advocate Tommy has and he deserves to have that be known. Your email came at a time when the "adopttommy" inbox had received no activity for days and the hope for finding him a home was at an all-time low. His testing positive greatly narrowed the field for him in terms of being adopted in a world of many homeless non-special needs cats. It's a terrible catch-22 that the no-kill shelters that would normally be his last hope cannot take him because of this positive status.
I realize there are many variables at play here, but there are no known answers unless we give the situation a try—give Tommy a chance to try.
Please let me know if you are still willing to move forward...and we can maybe go forward with a meeting tonight.
--------------
Yes, I realize I reused some of the language I used below, but come on!? Aren't you as ready as I am to get to the ending?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment