Thursday, July 24, 2008

Bring Your Dog to Work Days

Yesterday, it was discovered that a new employee at work had been bringing her dogs with her...and leaving them in the CAR (common sense is apparently not a standard feature in a BMW). The windows were cracked. They had water. She said she checked on them. But her side of the story means nothing when I think about what her two dachshunds endured for 5 hours on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Monday it was in the 90s. The next two days were sunny and in the 80s. Imagine being trapped in a hot car, not knowing how long you'd be there! If you're not an "animal person", just picture yourself there. It works the same way.

Consider the facts:

* On a warm, sunny day car windows collect light, trapping heat inside the vehicle. When it's 85 degrees outside, the temperature inside a car with the windows opened slightly can reach 102 degrees within ten minutes. After 30 minutes, the temperature will reach 120 degrees. At 110 degrees, pets are in danger of heatstroke.

* Parking in the shade or leaving the windows cracked does little to alleviate this pressure cooker.

* Dogs are designed to conserve heat. Their sweat glands, which exist on their nose and the pads of their feet, are inadequate for cooling during hot days. Panting and drinking water helps cool them, but if they only have overheated air to breathe, dogs can suffer brain and organ damage after just 15 minutes.

Reading this, I hope you are with me in realizing that action had to be taken (I'm a people pleaser by nature). I realize I have a tendancy to react emotionally to situations involving animals and I wouldn't apologize for this even if trapped in a hot car (not to trivialize). But, this time, the facts were on my side. And so was the VP of HR, which never hurts.

The result:
The woman was told that she could not bring her dogs to work with her. She told HR that her home was being fumigated. But, she also told a co-worker that she just loves to take them everywhere with her. Whatever the reality, she did not bring them in today. Thank God!

Upon returning home from work today, I hope she was greeted by happy dogs who enjoyed their day at home. She really seemed to be a caring owner who was oblivious to the dangers. I hope she reads the facts above.

No, of course, I don't expect her to read my blog. I hope that she read the sincere note a concerned little bird left on her windshield yesterday.

1 comment:

Razzle said...

Wow, you would think it was common knowledge that you don't leave dogs in your car all day in the scorching heat. If you wouldn't leave your children in a car all day long, why would you think it's ok to leave your pets? Come to think of it, I hope she doesn't have kids! Anyway, good for you for saying something and the "little bird" who left a note. I hope she realizes how serious this is and most importantly, doesn't do it again!