
Okay, I feel like I'm in some weird Jim Carrey movie or something, which is funny cause I can't stand the man. However, he has done a few movies where he suddenly has some "gift" to contend with that keeps cropping up in his life. For me, it's animals in need. I don't even have to look for them!
On my way to work this morning, a cute pug of a dog named Buffy RAN across a busy intersection. F-O-U-R lanes of traffic. For those of you who are local, hey who am I kidding...nice to see you again, Deb...it was around Caldwell and Lenox, right by the golf course. Luckily, everyone reacted in time, since the light had just turned green. Buffy made it to the other side and ran straight up to a woman walking her dog. I pulled around the corner and got out, thinking that the woman might need some help. I will say here that, when I made the decision to stop, I could already see that the dog had a collar and tags. I didn't stop to be the rescuer. I considered the other woman the main rescuer and myself the sidekick. I didn't realize sidekicks could be so bossy. I felt like a professional when instructing head rescuer Candy as to our next steps.
- We need to get him in my car.
- We need to call the number on the tags (she didn't have her cell phone).
- We need to drive to your house and you can keep him until we find his owners.
I was afraid she was going to resist this last part, but she hopped in the car and told me her address. I'm not authoratative by any sense of the word in any other area of my life, but I guess animals bring it out. It's kind of fun.
Less than an hour later, Buffy was home.
It was kind of cool. I never find anyone with a collar/tags or microchip, so this was fun new territory that wouldn't include weeks of craigslist postings and an inbox full of check scammers each morning. Plus, I was just Candy's bossy assistant. It was nice to have an almost-instant happy ending.
When I called my husband to tell him I had rescued a dog, his question was a suspicious "Where is it now?" He was relieved to hear that I was still on my way to work--alone!

1 comment:
For those of you who are local, hey who am I kidding...nice to see you again, Deb...
HAHAH!
Oh great job once again! Yes, unchartered territory - an animal with tags and a home. WEIRD! :) I love Brian's response, "Where is it now?" heheh. Luckily not in the half-way house for animals (aka your bathroom). Glad to know that Buffy is home safe and sound, thanks to your quick thinking and...BOSSINESS. Hey, tough times call for tough measures. A dog's very life was at stake. It's awesome you took control of the situation and got it done - all before even getting into work that morning! You should seriously start thinking of bringing a Superhero cape with you at all times just for situations like these.
Post a Comment