
While at the shelter today, a dog I was walking became very interested in sniffing a tarp in the corner of the yard. He pulled the tarp up with his nose and I saw a cat's back leg. I went inside to get help. Charles, a staff member, came back out with me and brought a carrier.
When Charles lifted the tarp, the cat ran for the fence. We both gasped in horror, as it was running using only its front legs; the cat's back legs were just dragging behind flat on the ground. It was an awful sight.
Even with just two working legs, the cat was FAST. It climbed up the fence as quick as any other. It took about ten minutes, but we finally managed to get the poor kitty into the carrier and inside. The cat looked similar to the one above, but with more white.
Charles said it had likely been hit by a car. It wasn't bleeding, but obviously very injured. Charles said that it might have to be euthanized. But, he also expressed a little hope that the doctor who happened to be in today might try and treat the cat's injuries if it was possible. I'm hoping for this outcome, of course, but understand that euthanasia might be the humane thing to do.
The fact that the cat managed to get to Animal Care & Control on his/her own is pretty lucky. I hope it's a sign that more good luck awaits this sweet kitty. I should know more tomorrow.

3 comments:
did you get any more news about the kitty??
not yet. i hate to bug penny about it, but i will! i'll let you know as soon as i know.
penny misunderstood my email and was keeping her eyes out for the cat. so, she's going to ask tomorrow (wed) when she's in.
Post a Comment